Prior to being appointed Chief of Staff, Ray served four years as the Assistant to the City Manager, providing direct operational support to City Manager Marc Ott as well as overseeing the Agenda Office and Austin’s Citizen Assistance Program.
Before arriving in Austin, Ray served in numerous leadership positions at the state and local levels. He was formerly the Deputy Secretary of State for the State of New Mexico, supervising a cabinet-level staff of more than 50 employees while also serving as the chief spokesperson for the agency. His public sector service also includes serving as the Governmental Relations Director for the City of San Antonio; Special Assistant to the Attorney General for Public Policy; and Legislative Aide to a leading member of the Texas House of Representatives from his hometown of San Antonio.
Ray has a Master of Public Administration degree from the University of Texas at San Antonio, and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from Trinity University.
Administrative Services Group
- Agenda Office
- Communications and Public Information Office
- Corporate Special Events Office
- Intergovernmental Relations Office
- Office of Sustainability
- Small and Minority Business Resources Department
- Executive Liaison to the Equity Office
- Executive Liaison to the Hispanic/Latino Quality of Life Commission